Monday, August 06, 2007

You Win some You Loose some

You don’t loose the battle until you quit. Losers are the people who do not participate in the battle. More important is the participation and the spirit. Winning or Loosing is just the outcome.

With this Mindset, we set to play against, arguably the second best team of the tournament. We had never practiced before, and some of the players have never played soccer before. Yet, we were dominating the game with 1-0 till the last 2 minutes. Blooper can be termed as an appropriate word for the goal that opponents scored against us. Nevertheless, we put up a good fight thereafter during penalty shoot-out. We scored all the three penalty shots against an experienced player who was their Goal keeper cum forward cum defender cum penalty shooter. The referee decided to opt for sudden death since it was a knock-out match. Opponent’s goalkeeper was able to save the penalty kick and that’s when the match ended.

I will never forget this match for two reasons. First, I saw an ordinary team delivering an extraordinary result. Second, I saw that attitude is what that makes the difference. Our attitude was simple, we were playing and enjoying the game and we were not under any pressure. None of the player tried to become a hero and none kept himself above the team. It doesn't matter for me as a captain that we lost the game but it’s a pride for me that I got such a good team to play along and I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game like I did never before
.

1 comment:

poloolop said...

The most important thing in this is to "Play to Win". For me its irritating when people play without willingness to win. I will never play a game if I don't want to win.

I have burnt my fingers several times when I played with no real intention to win. Yes, I lost. But it hurt bad, harder than I had anticipated. This is why I decided to enter anything only if I wish to win it. No other option. Go all out.

YET. There is a category of things when one should QUIT. Yes. You have to read Seth Godin's - Dip to find out. Here's his interview .

--
US